The Town’s Half Marathon
Friday, August 14th, 2015
RunOak Expo & Packet Pickup - Palm Plaza, Jack London Square Waterfront - 1:00pm-7:00pm
More info on the Run the Town Expo here »
Saturday, August 15th, 2015
Start & Finish Location - Frank Ogawa Plaza, Oakland City Hall
Half Marathon Start - 7:00am
Family funK Start - 7:15am
Festival Begins - 8:15am
- Entry fees are non-refundable and non-transferable. No exceptions.
- Once we receive and accept your entry, you will not receive a refund if you cannot participate, you may not give or sell your race number to anyone else, and you may not transfer your entry fee to future races.
- If you attempt to sell your race number, you may not be able to participant in future events.
- You must be at least 12 years old to participate in the Half Marathon. If accompanied by a parent or guardian, any age can participate in the Family funK.
- You must be in good health and able to complete 13.1 miles.
- You may have a friend or family member pick-up event packets at Friday's Run the Town Expo.
- You must show photo ID (or digital/paper copy) to receive your bib number and timing chip.
- Bib numbers are required to participate.
- There is no event day packet pickup.
- No bikes, in-line skates, skateboards, baby joggers or dogs will be allowed on the course.
Course Time Limits
To ensure that roads reopen to vehicular traffic at the scheduled times, the course time limits will be strictly enforced. Participants must maintain a pace of 14:00 min / per mile to finish the 13.1 miles in under 3 hours (Finish by 10:00am). A cut-off location will be enforced on the course; runners or walkers who do not reach the cut-off location by this time will be stopped and shuttled to the finish line area.
Our Medical Team is a dedicated group of multidisciplinary medical professionals, available to help assess your race day medical needs and administer acute first aid when necessary. Numerous medical stations will be located at the Finish as well as at the start and along the course.
Gear check will be available near the start line for your pre-race/post-race clothing. While you run, it’ll be held securely while you experience the best of Oakland. When you finish, simply return to the same location to claim your belongings.
Please note: DO NOT leave valuables, cash or jewelry in your gear bag. The event is not responsible for any lost items. Gear bags must be claimed before close of the Finish Line Festival on race day.
Once you cross the finish line, you’ll enter a secure participant only area. In the Runner Zone, you’ll rehydrate, refuel as well as be awarded your well deserved finisher’s medal. Be sure to grab all your goodies, because once you exit this area, you can’t re-enter. Besides, there’s a party going on and its time to celebrate.
COURSE & VENUE
The Golden Gate Half Marathon has the same course as its inception in 2002.
Course subject to change.
You’ve crossed the finish line on the steps of City Hall in Frank Ogawa Plaza and met with local volunteers placing a massive, spinning finisher’s medal around your neck. As you are catching your breath, you’re awarded with a commemorative wine glass and escorted to celebrate your accomplishment.
At the RunOak Festival, we’ve assembled a local collection of live music, food, beer & wine to reflect the romance and culture of Oakland. Recover with some protein from Muscle Milk and rehydrate with a refreshing Honest Tea.
The festival celebration is open to the public. Everyone is welcome to cheer on the runners, experience Oakland hospitality and celebrate everything The Town has to offer.
- Carefully crafted course showcasing the the best of Oakland - Jack London Square,
Uptown, Downtown, Piedmont Ave, Claremont, Lake Merritt and Grand Ave.
- Commemorative Mason Jar Tasting Glass (yes, for beer, wine & champagne!)
- Gender-Specific Technical Shirt (one you’ll actually wear)
- Awesome Finisher’s Medal (we’re talking serious hardware)
- Free Admission to the post-race RunOak Wine & Music Festival
on the steps of City Hall (the reason we all run, right?)
- “PB & Awesome” sandwiches courtesy of Oakland Juice & Co.!
Freshly baked whole wheat bread with strawberry preserves,
sliced almonds, and crunchy peanuts
- Brita filtering sports bottle
Click Here for Parking Map (Note: Lot on Clay @ 14th will be closed)
(service begins at 6am) 12th Street Bart Station is less than 1 block from the start line.
Information on public transportation routes and schedules are available through the interactive SF Bay Area Trip Planner
For additional questions, please email us: notices (at) projectsport.com
Free Yoga classes are every Tuesday night at 8pm.
Our friends at VO2MAX Sports Science have put together 12-week Half Marathon Training Plans for beginner and intermediate levels, to help you prepare to Run OAK!
Download the Beginner Training Program
Download the Intermediate Training Program
Training programs courtesy of:
It’s not always about the destination, but the journey taken to get there! Make sure you track every stride of your training via Map My Run, the Official Digital Training Partner of The Town’s Half Marathon. They’re hooking all runners up with a complimentary three month MVP membership.
Marathon Matt’s Pace Rockers will be leading you to the finish and provide a killer soundtrack every step of the way! Pacers will be designated to 1:45, 2:00, 2:15, 2:30, 2:45, and 3:00 finishing times.
Each Pacer will have their own “Boombot” to pump you up while you throw it down…